My dear friend asked me for a super easy-to-follow list of things she could do for daily support for her busy body. Here is the list that I believe are the very basics to support your self care. Try it... KNOW and FEEL the difference!
WHAT KIND? Two brands of enzymes that get my stamp of approval are Wholezymes from Whole foods or Complete Enzyme Systems from Rainbow Light. There are numerous different kinds of enzymes, but these two happen to have a good array of enzymes to digest fats, proteins and carbohydrates.
HOW MUCH? Take one every time you eat a cooked meal or snack and two if you're eating a heavy, or greasy, or animal protein laden meal. Keep them in your purse or pocket. Don't leave home without them!
WHEN? If you can remember, take them 15 minutes before your meal. If you forget, take them with your meal. If you have forgotten, take them after your meal. JUST TAKE THEM!
Food enzymes are the living proteins that are in all raw foods. Once foods are heated above 118 degrees, those enzymes are rendered inactive. Enzymes help us to digest our food and are a part of every single activity in every single cell of our bodies. We have been issued a standard fortune of enzymes in our metaphorical enzyme bank account to help our own digestion and transformation in each cell of our bodies. Our bodies "digestive" enzymes were intended to work with our "food" enzymes to break down and transform our food into our fuel and to continue the tireless work of cellular activity. When we're young, our bank account of "digestive" enzymes is so abundant that we can take constant withdrawals, eating dead and processed foods without feeling its effects. Over time, most of us are really feeling the consequences of our enzyme deficit. We are tired, sluggish, have reflux and stomach aches, ulcers, constipation, diarrhea, foggy brain, colitis, IBS, diverticulitis, food allergies and a host of other symptoms due to enzyme deficiency. So, take those "food" enzymes with your cooked food and help yourself digest and transform your food and your life!
WHAT KIND? One brand I like is JARRODOHPHOLIS. It comes either in a dairy base or a vegetarian base. They have a good reputation for having integrity with billions of living strains of good bacteria and for a very good price. They are found in a special refrigerator section at whole foods or a health food store. Store them in the refrigerator. Also, I like GARDEN OF LIFE brands PRIMAL DEFENSE, and RENEW LIFE brand ULTIMATE FLORA.
HOW MUCH? Start with 1 in the morning and 1 at night. After a week take 2 in the morning and 2 at night.
WHEN? They are fine to take on an empty stomach. So first thing in the morning with a big glass of water and then at night before bed time. If you've eaten, take them anyway!
Probiotics help to rebuild good bacteria in our digestive tract, 1. to help fight off the bad ones, 2. to help digest food, 3. to help keep the intestines clean, 4. to sweep out toxins and 5. to protect you from behaviors that kill off good bacteria like drinking coffee, pollution, chlorine in our water when we shower, alcohol and other environmental and food toxins. They are INVALUABLE!
3. A WHOLE FOODS BASED MULTI VITAMIN
WHAT KIND? I like the RAINBOW LIGHT BRAND called COMPLETE NUTRITIONAL SYSTEM- because they are made from whole foods...yay! Also, Nature's Way brand ALIVE multivitamins and Garden of Life Brand LIVING MULTI, and Dr. Mercola's Premium Supplements. You can find them on his website, click here. Steer clear of factory made, synthetic vitamins. You're body isn't a factory.
HOW MUCH? Follow the instructions on the label, and don't be surprised if it says to take numerous pills. Squishing whole food nutrition into a tiny pill isn't a simple task.
WHEN? Always take with food. Preferably in the morning and no later than lunch.
WHY? Vitamins are meant to be catalysts and helpers, not replacements for food. So, give your food a boost by taking them together. Also, since the industrial age, we have over farmed our soils, lost nutrients, become too cheap to fertilize with natural methods and we have used inefficient replacements. The result? We have depleted soils which make depleted foods. Even organic vegetables and fruits are lacking the luster, taste and quality they had from years ago when crops were rotated and land was allowed to rest and rejuvenate after having given so much of itself. Frankly my dear, we need help.
4. KRILL OIL
WHAT KIND? Source Naturals Arctic Pure Krill Oil or Source Naturals NKO Krill oil or Neptune Krill Oil.
HOW MUCH? At least 1000 mg. a day. If you are fighting any kind of disease, increase to 3000 mg a day in divided doses.
WHEN? Always take with food. Any meal is fine.
WHY? 1. Krill oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids and
2. It contains the powerful antioxidant, astaxanthin which is exclusive to Krill oil in comparison to regular fish oil.
3. The phospholipids, DHA and EPA are omega-3's that are in a highly absorptive form. Every cell of our bodies are built from fat. The type of fats we consume are the materials that each and every cell in our bodies are built from. Saturated fats and trans-fats are hard and inflexible. Omega-3 fatty acids are fluid and soft. A soft, fluid cell wall allows nutrients to flow easily into the cell and toxins can freely flow out.
4. Heart healthy fats raise healthy HDL cholesterol, lower the bad LDL cholesterol as well as lowering dangerous triglycerides.
5. Omega-3's are a natural anti-inflammatory, reducing arthritis pain, pre-menstrual symptoms, joint pain and other inflammatory diseases.
6. Krill oil helps the brain focus, reducing ADD and ADHD symptoms as well as Alzheimer's, dementia and depression.
7. Enjoy the help Krill oil gives to keeping skin soft, supple, and cleansed of blocked hard debris, it feeds the nerves to the eyes, reduces some symptoms of diabetes and more...
The health benefits are so huge, that you'll never want to be without this amazing insurance.
5. Chew your food.. Don't wait until you are starving to eat because it will increase the speed of swallowing due to scarcity and hunger. If this is the only thing you do, it is surprising how many great benefits you will receive. You will eat less, because chewing takes longer, your body will register fullness before you can consume too much food. You will digest your food better, because you will be doing the work of breaking down food in your mouth with the help of digestive enzymes in your saliva. You will balance your weight by reducing quantity and increasing absorption. The best side benefit, is that if you are chewing your food consciously, then you are more present, both to life and to the taste of your food. This will increase satisfaction and reduce the need to eat more.
6. Eat more raw foods, blend them, chew them, bathe with them, (ha ha) it increases alkalinity in the blood, it makes a nice environment for healthy living and keeps away the low lying bugs, viruses and bacterias that like to thrive in the sludge of an acidic blood stream.
They also contain live enzymes and protein! Yes, protein. Think of a long necked dinosaur and its massive musculature, a cow, a giraffe or a horse. These amazing animals are made up of green leafy vegetables. Wow!
7. DECREASE STRESS HORMONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Plan lots of buffer time into your life. Meditate! Rest! Take Breaks! Walk barefoot on the earth! Don't' get your adrenaline pumping because of poor planning or arguments. Fear and stress causes cortisol and other stress hormones to flood your blood stream, telling your body that you are in danger. It steals energy from the digestive system and the reproductive system (We don't' need to eat or have sex if we are running from a bear). Those hormones block our bodies ability to convert our stored fat into energy. It's a double threat. Bad stress hormones and excess fat storage. Being calm is vital to our health!
8. Decrease or eliminate sugar and white flour...... these are very acidic causing, nutrient deficient sub-foods. They throw off insulin, force us to store more dangerous fats and triglycerides in our bellies and knock our hormones out of whack leading to obesity, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. Eat whole grains, vegetables, legumes, fruits, nuts and seeds as a hearty base to your diet.
9. Eat no more than 4 to 5 hours apart.
When you eat, try to have enough fats, carbohydrates and protein in one meal to keep your blood sugar even and calm throughout the day.
Eat a medium meal in the morning, a big meal in the afternoon, and a small meal at night.
Eat breakfast like a Prince/Princess, lunch like a King/Queen and dinner like a pauper!
10. Increase SELF LOVE and PLEASURE!
Increase happy hormones.... what a fantastic hormone regulating homework assignment... have more sex for fun... do some of your walks as strolls... drop the drive and cruise a bit...
Enjoy friend time, cooking, good food, sleep, plenty of water, meditation and relaxation... tell yourself you are safe, you have arrived, no more proving, no more running. YOU DID IT! You are good enough!
Take small bites! Chew Well! Enjoy!
Know Yourself! Be Yourself! Love Yourself!